Prepare the bedroom for optimal sleep quality
We spend around 1/3 of our life in bed and good sleep quality will affect your quality of life. Who hasn’t looked at the watch and thought if I fall asleep now, it’s seven hours until I have to get up, six hours, five hours until I have to get up…
Here we have gathered some tips for the décor of the bedroom for optimal sleep quality. plus some bonus tips.
Close the sun outside
The winter is not such a big problem in Norway. But in the summertime it is bright light late in the evening, and early in the morning. This can make it harder for a lot of people to fall asleep.
Here there are many solutions that come in many different designs and price ranges. The easiest and cheapest way to go to IKEA and get yourself a bright roller blind.
A good mattress
A good mattress is essential for good sleep quality. If you lie uncomfortable, it’s easy to lie back and forth in bed, not only to your own irritation but also to your partner who wakes up because you are throwing yourself back and forth in search of a good sleeping position.
The best mattresses have what you call pocket springs. These make sure you get support where you need it, as they move individually and not collectively.
Choose the right color for the walls
Although it is delicious to wake up to fresh, bright colors, it is not the best choice for a good sleep. Try choosing some dark brown tones, blue tones, or go for some neutral colors like gray, beige, or white.
Choose the right pillow
Although it may sound obvious, the right choice of pillow will do wonders for your sleep quality. Although your high pillow is great when you want to lie in bed and read a good book, it can quickly cause problems for your neck. Sleeping with a fractured neck all night can also cause bigger problems than just a bad night’s sleep.
One solution I use is to have two sets of pillows, one to lie down to read a book on, quite tall and thick. And when I’m going to sleep, I replace it with a thin and low pillow that gives me the right angle on my neck. Several manufacturers now supply pillows you can take out or add filling, so you get a pillow that’s just right for you.
The temperature in the bedroom
Having an agreement on the temperature can be difficult when you share a bed with someone. Some people tend to thrive when icicles grow on the curtain rods, while others would like to be able to lie naked without a duvet and still not freeze. According to research in England, the best bedroom temperature is between 16 and 18 degrees. In order for both to be satisfied, find a middle thing, and choose a thick and thin duvet each.
Here are some bonus tips to help with your night sleep
- Put your phone/TV down an hour before you go to sleep. The light from the screen fools your brain into thinking it’s still in the middle of the day.
- Dim the light throughout the house an hour before going to bed. This will prepare your brain for bedtime.
- Do not drink coffee after 16.00. Coffee can have an influence on the body for 6-8 hours after the last cup.
- Lie down and get up at the same time. This will help you to keep a good sleep rhythm. (yes, even on weekends 😉 )
- Do not drink anything 1-2 hours before going to bed. This reduces the chance of toilet visits in the middle of the night.
- Take a warm bath 90 minutes before bedtime. According to this study, it helps with the quality of sleep.
So put your phone down and go to sleep 🙂 Have a good night!